Monday, 21 March 2016

A Read Along of The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

A Read Along of The Pickwick Papers is hosted by O@beholdthestars. The uniqueness of this read along schedules is that it follows the schedule in which it was originally published in series. So this read along runs for more than a year. I love this idea and thanks to O for hosting this.






The Pickwick Papers is Charles Dickens first novel. The original title was "The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, containing a faithful record of the Perambulations, Perils, Travels, Adventures and Sporting Transactions of the corresponding members." Such a long title!!!
It was published in series, 19 issues over 20 months from March 1836 - November 1837. Dickens missed a deadline in mourning for his sister-in-law Mary Hogarth, and consequently there was no issue in May 1837.
Charles Dickens was four and twenty and was writing under the pseudonym "Boyz". He was actually called in to supply the letterpress- that is, the description necessary to explain the plates and connect them into a sort of picture novel (Picture Novel was then the fashion). Initially he adjusted his narrative to the plates that had been prepared for him, but later he himself led the way with an installment of his story and the artist was compelled to illustrate what Dickens had already written.
Robert Seymour provided the illustrations for the first two installments. After his suicide, Robert Buss illustrated the third installment, but his work was not liked by Dickens and the remaining installments were illustrated by "Phiz" (Hablot Knight Browne) who went on to illustrate most of Dickens novels. (Source - Wikipedia)

2 comments:

  1. I'm doing this Read-Along, too! Have you started reading this yet? I loved the first two chapters and am looking forward to the rest! http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/2016/03/pickwick-papers-read-along-check-in-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn,
    It is comical and I enjoyed the first installment. I have just started with the second. It is nice reading it this way (in installments). I will go check your post.

    ReplyDelete